Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has condemned the attack on #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki toll gate area while blaming “forces beyond the state’s control” for the incident.
Sanwo-Olu said this in the early hours of Wednesday morning as he visited victims of the incident at various hospitals around the area.
The governor promised to work with the Federal Government to unravel the roots of the matter, adding that he will address Lagosians this morning.
He said, “This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.
“I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki.
“It has taken me this long to make a statement because I have to prioritize the welfare of the victims of this very sad incident.
“There are currently 10 patients at the Gen Hospital, 11 at Reddington and 4 at Vedic; with mild to moderate levels of injuries while 2 are receiving intensive medical care. 3 patients have been discharged & we will continue to monitor and ensure all patients get the best care.
“As the Governor of our state, I recognize the buck stops at my table and I will work with the FG to get to the root of this unfortunate incident and stabilise all security operations to protect the lives of our residents. I will give a state broadcast in the morning.”
Ijaw News had earlier reported how live ammunition was fired at peaceful protesters at the toll gate hours after the state government imposed a 24 hours curfew.