The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has announced that it will make a pronouncement on Manchester City’s UEFA ban appeal on Monday.
The football apex court in a statement on Friday said it “will announce the decision taken in the arbitration procedure between Manchester City Football Club and the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) on Monday, 13 July 2020,”
City were banned by UEFA for illegally overstating sponsorship revenue to cover up their breach of financial fair-play (FFP) rules between 2012 and 2016.
They were also handed a 30 million euro ($34 million, £27 million) fine
City persistently denied the allegations during a three-day hearing on the case was held last month.
The Pep Guardiola side is currently 11-point above fifth-placed Manchester United in the Premier League and need just one win from their remaining four games of the season to secure a Champions League spot.
However, if the UEFA ban is upheld or reduced, whoever finishes fifth will take their Champions League spot – a major boost for fifth place united.
Meanwhile, Pep Guardiola has expressed confidence that CAS will overturn the two-year ban.
“On Monday I’m so confident – because I know and hear the arguments of the club – [that] next season we will be there and after I will give my opinion and the club will give a statement,” he said.
City were suspended in February a leaked report alleged that the club misled Uefa and broke financial fair play rules.