Oromoni: Falana Presents Initial DPP Report Which Indicted Dowen Staff At Coroner's Inquest
Oromoni: Falana Presents Interim DPP's Report, Court Adjourns

Blackish Substance Found In Late Oromoni’s Intestine – LASUTH Pathologist.

Dr. Sunday Soyemi of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) informed Coroner Magistrate Mikhail Kadiri, who is conducting an inquest into the mysterious death of Sylvester Oromoni Junior, that a blackish material was discovered in the deceased’s colon.

He also told the court that LASUTH did not have a toxicology lab, and that the dead died of Septicemia (Sepsis).

Soyemi said this while being cross-examined by the Oromoni family’s counsel, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), in an ongoing inquest to determine the cause of death of a 12-year-old Dowen College JSS two student in Lagos State.

According to the pathologists, the dead was not evaluated for alleged poisoning since LASUTH does not have a toxicology lab.

He explained his decision not to do toxicology by saying, “ I need to take the blood and the fluid, the vitreous and sent to the laboratory and the gastric content. All these were not available at the second autopsy.

“The stomach had been opened by the first pathologist and nothing was found. The blood, urine had been sucked out during embalming of the deceased by the hospital.”

READ ALSO: Family Doctor Reveals Sylvester Oromoni Was Never Hospitalised

When Falana asked if it was appropriate for one of the 14 people present at the post mortem, Dr. Iwikwe Chikwodili Isabella, who represented one of the accused students, to speak on Arise TV about autopsy findings, the pathologist responded, “That’s not the practice, it’s not normal, and it’s not the usual thing.”

He also said he was embarrassed when the news was discussed on TV.

Earlier in the proceedings, Dr. Soyemi stated in his Evidence-in-Chief by Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Dr. Babajide Martins, that the autopsy performed on the dead revealed a widespread infection of the body.

He described part of his finding as Lobar pneumonia. “It was infection of the lungs, the deceased also have infection of the liver, the kidneys, infection of right arm, the soft tissue of the muscles covering the bone below the ankle against all his findings.”

He said: “This could have been treated. What could have been used in treating him was massive doses of intravenous antibiotic, fluid and blood transfusion.”

He went on to say that based on his findings, his disease might have been controlled successfully if he had been taken for medical care.

The pathologist also testified on images, specifically regarding the post mortem technique and methodology, and criticized the previous pathologist, calling his study as a botched autopsy.

Other lawyers present cross-examined the witness as well.

As a result, the coroner’s court set a new hearing date on February 14, 2022.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

17 + fifteen =